12 June, 2006

Greenwich Blackheath Lee and Lewisham

A Sunday stroll from Greenwich to Lewisham on a scorching hot summer day. Greenwich is a naval town which has been taken over by the University of Greenwich which occupies the former Naval Hospital. On a former visit I got told off for sitting on one of the chairs in the painted hall there. I couldn't see why as I was directed to another chair that was exactly the same. In the Chapel I could sit anywhere I liked. Greenwich has memorials of England's seafaring past with the preserved Cutty Sark tea clipper and Gypsy Moth IV yacht. I usually walk by the river at Greenwich but this time I walked through the Greenwich Royal Park, past the statue of General Woolfe and the planetarium (being rebuilt).


Cutty Sark Figurehead Posted by Picasa

Blackheath has the atmosphere of a village whilst remaining firmly a Victorian railway suburb. The church is orientated the wrong way for afternoon photographs so I didn't take one.

St Margarets Church, Lee is between Blackheath and Lewisham and the patron is the Lord Chancellor although I suppose it will be the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs now. The church is a commissioners church of thw 1840s (and it really is that orange colour). The spire is rather fine, and there is a visitor's centre for the parish.
St Margaret's Church Lee Posted by Picasa

A short walk led me to Lewisham town centre and the bus home but not before looking at Tower House Lewisham (see other blog for that)

No comments: